The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History awards annual short-term research fellowships in the amount of $3000 each to doctoral candidates, college and university faculty at every rank, and independent scholars working in the field of American history. International scholars are eligible to apply. The fellowships support research at archives in New York City.
Fellows are required to
- Complete their research within a year of notification of the award
- Visit the Gilder Lehrman Institute in New York City to meet the Fellowship Coordinator
- Submit a paragraph documenting the archival collections consulted during the fellowship
To apply, candidates must submit
- A project proposal (2–5 pages) including current contact information, a list of primary sources to be consulted, and an anticipated budget
- A curriculum vitae (of any length)
- Two letters of recommendation from established scholars
Applications must be postmarked or submitted via email by Monday, May 15, 2017. All applicants will be notified by Monday, June 12, 2017.
Please send application materials to
The Gilder Lehrman Scholarly Fellowship Program
49 West 45th Street, Sixth Floor
New York, New York 10036
Phone: (646) 366-9666, ext. 29
Fax: (646) 366-9669