Materials from the Gilder Lehrman Collection are exhibited at the New-York Historical Society and at other prominent institutions around the country. Please visit our Museum Exhibitions page for more details.
Access for University and Research Libraries
A comprehensive, research database of the Collection with images is available by subscription through Adam Matthew Digital.
Conducting Research in the Gilder Lehrman Collection
Qualified researchers may view original materials from the Gilder Lehrman Collection at the Patricia D. Klingenstein Library in the New-York Historical Society by appointment only using our online Appointment Request Form. We do not currently accept applications or requests by fax or email. To facilitate your research, you may save a draft of this form while you search our online catalog and come back to it at any time prior to submission to add additional items to your request.
What you will need to bring to your appointment
- A signed copy of our Collection Use Policy
- A valid government-issued photo ID
- Some materials may require a reference letter specifically addressed to the Gilder Lehrman Collection from a source qualified to evaluate the applicant’s use of rare materials. The archivist will contact you in advance if this applies to you.
Keep in mind
- Use of the Collection is by appointment only
- Reading Room hours are Tuesday–Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Appointments must begin no later than 1:30 p.m.
- Patrons are encouraged to submit their requests at least two weeks prior to their requested visit. Appointments with less than two days’ notice will be denied.
- We reserve the right to use photocopies or other reproductions in place of the originals.
- For reasons of security, preservation of the Collection, and the well being of other readers, we reserve the right to withdraw Collection use privileges at any time.
- The use of pens, highlighters, markers, or post-it notes is strictly prohibited in the reading room. The archivist will supply pencils and paper if needed.
- Researchers are required to consult digital editions, including national databases as available, unless it is determined that there is compelling reason to consult the originals.
Closures and Limited Hours
Upcoming library closures for 2014:
- Tuesday, November 4
- Thursday, November 13
- Thursday, November 27
- Wednesday, December 3
- Thursday, December 25
Occasionally the Collection may close due to special events at the Klingenstein Library. The archivist will contact you if there is any change to your scheduled visit.
If you wish to consult materials from the New-York Historical Society, please visit the Klingenstein Library’s website to review their policies prior to your visit.
For more assistance, please contact email@example.com.